For most students, the college transition is a major change to their physical activity.
Gym class is replace with endless buffets and unless you are a student athlete, most people stop whatever sports they participated in during high school.
If you are lucky enough to attend a college with a state of the art recreation center – TAKE
ADVANTAGE OF IT!
Unfortunately, not all college campuses have that luxury, and not everyone loves working out in front of their peers. Commercial gyms are a perfect alternative and typically offer a free trial. Ask for a student discount or scout Groupon for some membership deals!
Gym Tips & Tricks:
1. Experiment with different training times for the first few weeks of the semester and find what times work with you and what times the gym is busy
2. Recruit a workout buddy to keep you accountable
3. Take advantage of free classes – my campus offers Zumba and yoga which are both really popular
4. Join an intramural to stay active while having fun
5. You don’t have to lift weights or run on the treadmill to workout – you can play some racquetball or go hiking
6. Depending on the size of your campus, walk to class or parking farther away
7. Try a dorm room workout if you are short on time
8. Create a plan for the semester – set goals, sign up for a race or hire a personal trainer to stay accountable
If you have any special requests, do not hesitate to reach out to me at email@example.com.